Thursday, December 31, 2015

DarkFire's (The Dragon) Lore!

So, I play a game called Flight Rising and in this game, they let you write lore for your dragons!  I have currently only written one lore, but I plan on writing one for each of my dragons.  This is my first dragon, a female, named DarkFire.
DarkFire

And here is her lore:

            DarkFire didn’t know where she had come from or what her name had been before—if she’d even had a name before—but she knew that she was where she belonged.
            She called herself mistress of her lair, and as she was the only one residing therein, no one dared to contest her.  But as the days wore on, she grew lonesome.  Every day, she would peer out the door of her lair, longing for a dragon to visit…but she was too frightened to adventure on her own.
            Her days were comprised of pacing the stone floors, feeling the heat radiate around her and feeling like the most cowardly of dragons.  She left her lair only when she grew hungry.
            One day, as she was hunting, she came across an injured Zeeba.  She was instantly pleased; she wouldn’t have to hunt all day for a bit of food.  Then she felt a pang of guilt.  How could she think of killing the innocent, injured creature?  She battled within’ herself, then picked up the Zeeba in her claws and carried it back to her lair.
            She sat it down, and blocked its way out by making a pen of stones, then told it firmly, “You are my pet now.  You will keep me company, so I will not be lonely.”  The Zeeba did warm to her and soon, she could take it out of the pen and it wouldn’t even try to run away, but just run around with her, enjoying itself.
            But she still longed for dragon companionship.  One night, when the sky was dark and cloudless, she looked up at the brightest star she could see and softly whispered, “If there’s a God…please hear my prayer and send me…not just a friend, but a mate.”
            When she awoke the next morning, there was a Guardian dragon standing at the opening of her lair, peering in expectantly.
            “Who are you?”  She demanded, startled.
            “Um…my name is Dusk,” he told her.  “And you are?”
            “I’m DarkFire, mistress of this lair.”
            “You’re beautiful.  I was waiting for you to wake up.”
            DarkFire was taken aback.  Her Zeeba didn’t speak and she had never been called beautiful.  “I’m beautiful?”
            He nodded.  “Very much so.  I love your wings.”  There was a longing in his orange eyes.
            “My wings?”
            “Yes, your wings.”
            She turned and looked at her wings and remembered her prayer from the night before.  “You like them?”
            “No.  I love them.  They’re so beautiful.”
            “Where are you from?”  Her heart was aflutter and she felt safer just changing the topic.
            “Further down there,” he gestured with a wing.  “I also have another fire dragon and,” he lowered his voice, “a wind dragon.  I appeared from…from honestly, I’m unsure…but the other two are fleeing from their old lairs.  You’re welcome to join us…or…could we join you?”
            DarkFire glanced behind her, into her lair.  It was large.  Large and empty.  When she turned back toward Dusk, she felt her heart breaking from the sorrow of loneliness, but swelling with hope.
            “I’d love if you joined my lair.”  She lowered her head, “I’m the only one.  Me and my Zeeba, that is.”
            “Oh?  You have a Zeeba?  I have a hedgehog back with the others, and they have a Loga and a Grey River Flight.  We could have an entire menagerie!”
            DarkFire laughed, “There’s plenty of room!”
            Dusk left, but soon returned, bringing with him a young, shy fae, and a coatl that preferred to quietly hum to himself.
            “You know,” Dusk told her quietly when they were alone, “You’re not like most mirrors.  They prefer to be with their own breed, but you like being with us.  We’re just a band of misfits.”
            “I like being a band of misfits.  It’s better than being lonely.”
            Dusk nodded in agreement.  “DarkFire...” He said softly, “I’ve been thinking…would you like to be my mate?”
            She remembered her prayer once more, that if there was a God, that he would send her a mate.  And here he was.
            “I’d love to.”  She told him softly, barely daring to believe it.

            At last, the day came and she and Dusk made a nest and DarkFire laid four eggs.  She was so nervous they would break or be rotten and not hatch, but to her delight, they all hatched and were given the names: Protector, Shadow, LittleFire, Charred Embers.
            As the months wore on, more and more dragons, of all elements and breeds joined the band of misfits, the doors were closed to no one.  In fact, soon, they had to expand…and expand…and expand even more!  Surely, she’ll be expanding even more.
©2015 Katie Holm

No comments:

Post a Comment

What did you think? Feel free to leave your comments below!